The External Foe: Victory Over The World
"The world" in this passage is not referring to the created order or to the human race, but to an ordered system which is opposed to God."
JOHN 7:7 - The world is evil.
JOHN 12:31 - The world is under satan's domain.
JOHN 12:46 - The world is a dark place.
JOHN 15:18-19 - The world hates Jesus & His followers.
1. The world seeks to usurp the affections of God's people. (v. 15)
2. The world tempts us in three areas: (v. 16)
(1) Sensual Pleasures - "the lust of the flesh"
(2) Self-Indulgent Greed - "the lust of the eyes"
(3) Arrogant Pride - "the pride of life"
3. The world is temporal but all who live for God are eternal. (v. 17)
- Romans 12:2