20 “I do not ask for these only, but also for those who will believe in me through their word, 21 that they may all be one, just as you, Father, are in me, and I in you, that they also may be in us, so that the world may believe that you have sent me. 22 The glory that you have given me I have given to them, that they may be one even as we are one, 23 I in them and you in me, that they may become perfectly one, so that the world may know that you sent me and loved them even as you loved me.
Did you know that when Jesus was praying in the garden before He was crucified, He was praying for us, His church, those who “will believe in me through their word”?
We can see multiple things that Jesus prays in this passage:
- First, Jesus prays that His people would be one in Him. He prays for unity in His church. That they would be one as the Father and Son are one.
- Second, Jesus prays that our lives would be a reflection of Him, through our relationships, our speech, actions, thoughts and motives. We are called to love one another as Christ loved us. Jesus says that this is how the world may know that Jesus came and died.
- Finally, Jesus prayed that His people would seek to make this truth known! He is confident that many will– not might, but will– believe in Him. This gives us confidence in His saving work on the cross. Scotty Smith said, “The Great Commission isn’t our job to get done, but God’s promise to fulfill. We are privileged to live as characters in God’s story of redemption and also be proclaimers of that story; but we must never forget, it is God’s story.”
Let’s pray for the things that Jesus prayed for us!
- Pray that we would be bold to proclaim the gospel to those who do not know or do not believe. Think about a friend or family member. Pray for their salvation and that God would give you an opportunity to tell them about God’s story of redemption.
- Thank God for the union that you have with Christ. Ask Him to show you more of Himself and make you look more like Him.
- Pray that God would further unify His body. Search your heart and ask for forgiveness if there are any ways you have sinned against a brother or sister in Christ. Ask that God would restore that relationship.
- Ask that you would be quick to seek unity with all of the body.